Fixing the "WEP Wifi security is being used" problem (TP-LINK / Archer C9)
Note: If you cannot fix the problem after you follow these instructions, maybe we can help. Get help from RouterCheck Support.
Understanding the "WEP Wifi security is being used" problem
Wireless security helps keep uninvited people from connecting to your network. It's responsible for the "WiFi Password" that you need when you connect to a friend's network. The quality of this security is constantly evolving as engineers create newer methods. These newer methods are needed as hackers have figured out how to break into networks that use some of the older technology. So, it's important to use the highest level of security possible.
Here are the current options:
- No Security - Some people choose to run a completely open system with no wireless security at all. This is a very bad idea.
- WEP - An older security protocol that's easily broken by hackers. There are tools available which allows someone to break into a WEP-protected network in a matter of minutes. WEP is a very poor choice if there are better alternatives.
- WPA - Another older protocol that's no longer considered secure. It's more difficult than WEP to crack, but not by much. It too should not be used if there are better alternatives.
- WPA2 - Currently, the best choice for wireless security. You should ensure that you're currently using WPA2.
Most modern routers will include all of these different methods. If you have a much older device that only supports the lesser-secure protocols, it may be time to think about upgrading your equipment.
Aside from these methods that secure the communication between you and your network, there's an additional consideration for your wireless security - WPS.
WPS (or WiFi Protected Setup) is a system used by many router vendors to make the task of setting up home WiFi easier. There are two ways that WPS-enabled routers enable devices to connect: either by typing in a PIN (usually found on a sticker on the bottom of the router) or by pressing a button on the router. Unfortunately, hackers can break into routers where WPS is turned on, so it should be turned off if possible. Routers with WPS turned on are easy prey for hackers, even if WPA2 is being used.
What is the risk of not fixing this problem?
The threat to you for WiFi security problems is a bit different than the threats posed by other vulnerabilities. A WiFi security issue is a very localized problem. Hackers half-way across the world cannot take advantage of poor WiFi security and try to break into your network. The real threat is with your neighbors and people in your immediate vicinity of trying to break into your network.
Local people breaking into your home network pose a very different threat than do professional hackers, and they'll do very different things. Whereas organized hackers are looking to make some quick money off of you by stealing sensitive material or reconfiguring your network for their benefit, the local amateur is looking for something totally different.
First, the amateur may simply be looking for mischief. They'll break into your network for fun - to see if they're able to do it. If they do, then you'd better hope that that's all they do. People who break in to other people's networks often continue their mischief by deleting files or causing other problems.
The other type of local person who breaks into their neighbor's network is looking for something different. They want to use your internet connection to do something that they don't want traceable back to themselves. Whatever it is that they want to do, whether it be dangerous, immoral, or outright illegal, they don't want to be the ones who it's traced back to. If they're on your network, it won't be traced back to them - it will be traced back to you.
Often, it's a good idea to look through the router's documentation to learn how to fix problems. Go to the vendor's support site where you can download documentation.
How to fix the "WEP Wifi security is being used" problem
Step 1: Log into your router
You use a web browser to interact with your router and fix its configuration problems. However, before you can interact with your browser, you must log into it. RouterCheck can give you detailed instructions for logging in to your router.
Step 2: If you log in successfully, your router's home page opens.
Step 3: Navigate to the WiFi Security page.
You want to find a page that has settings for wireless security. The page name may be similar to:
- Wireless Settings
- Wireless Security
- WiFi Security
Navigate to this page by clicking the appropriate menu items and buttons.
Step 4: If you are successful, your router's WiFi Security page opens.
Step 5: Set your router's wireless security to WPA2
Look for something on the page (probably a Dropdown list) that allows you to choose which type of wireless security you'd like to use. This Dropdown may be called something such as:
- Security Mode
- Encryption Mode
- Authentication Method
- Wireless Security
Ensure you leave the dropdown in a state so that WPA2 will be used. The selection that you make should say something like:.
Step 6: Re-run RouterCheck.
Now that you've fixed your problem, run RouterCheck again to verify that you have really fixed the problem.
Fix a problem on your router
- Bad Administrator Password
- Remote Administration is on
- Ports are open
- Router is Pingable from the Internet
- Local DNS Server
- Unknown DNS Server
- DNS Server Resolves Non-existent Domains
- Rogue DNS Servers
- Actual DNS Servers
- No Wifi security is being used
- WEP Wifi security is being used
- WPA Wifi security is being used
- WPS is turned on
- Wifi security could not be determined
- Tested Vulnerability Failure
- Lookup Vulnerability Failure
Learn how to use your router
- How to log in to your router
- How to reset a router to factory defaults
- How to load new firmware onto your router
- Get the default administrator password for your router.
- How to find the IP Address of your router
- Find firmware to install on your router
- Find user guides for your router
- If you are still having difficulties, maybe we can help.