How to reset a router to factory defaults (Sagemcom / F@ST 5260)
Note: If you cannot fix the problem after you follow these instructions, maybe we can help. Get help from RouterCheck Support.
Understanding the issue
Resetting a router back to its factory defaults is a drastic measure. However, sometimes, when you have no other way to access your router, this step is necessary. In particular, if you cannot log in to your router normally (perhaps because you forgot the password), this may be your only recourse. Before resetting your router to factory defaults, please verify that no passwords work, including the default passwords. RouterCheck can help you find your router's default password.
Recommendation: Refer to the router's documentation to learn how to fix problems. Go to the vendor's support site where you can download documentation.
How to reset a router to factory defaults
Step 1: Find the reset button.
There should be a tiny reset button. Usually this button is located at the back of the router.
Step 2: Push the reset button.
While the router is on, push and hold the reset button. You will probably need a paper clip to do this, because the button is usually recessed.
Step 3: Hold the reset button.
Continue to push in and hold the reset button for at least 30 seconds.
Step 4: Reboot the router.
Disconnect the power from the router for a few seconds. When you reconnect the power, the router should reboot.
Step 5: Log in to the router.
Try to log in to the router. RouterCheck can give you detailed instructions for logging in to your router.
Fix a problem on your router
- Bad Administrator Password
- Remote Administration is on
- Ports are open
- Router is Pingable from the Internet
- Local DNS Server
- Unknown DNS Server
- DNS Server Resolves Non-existent Domains
- Rogue DNS Servers
- Actual DNS Servers
- No Wifi security is being used
- WEP Wifi security is being used
- WPA Wifi security is being used
- WPS is turned on
- Wifi security could not be determined
- Tested Vulnerability Failure
- Lookup Vulnerability Failure
Learn how to use your router
- How to log in to your router
- How to reset a router to factory defaults
- How to load new firmware onto your router
- Get the default administrator password for your router.
- How to find the IP Address of your router
- Find firmware to install on your router
- Find user guides for your router
- If you are still having difficulties, maybe we can help.